Recipe by: Karen D. Krchma, B.S.
Nutrition (American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry)
The ever-favorite vegetable broccoli can be spiced up to please even the pickiest eaters and turn them into broccoli lovers! This recipe can be adapted for broccoli that is steamed, grilled, or roasted. Pour the sauce over the broccoli, or serve the sauce on the side or as a dip (for raw broccoli). Yum!
- 1 bunch broccoli, about 3 stalks, organic preferred
For Wasabi Sour Cream Sause:
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 – 2 teaspoons wasabi powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 drops stevia
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Wash and trim broccoli, peeling the fibrous material from stems.
- Slice the stems diagonally into bite-size pieces, and the flowerets into medium size bites.
- Bring several inches of water to boil in a vegetable steamer, and steam broccoli until tender crisp, approximately 8 minutes.
- Place steamed broccoli into a serving bowl, serve with Wasabi Sour Cream sauce.
- For Wasabi Sour Cream Sauce:
In a small bowl, blend the wasabi powder with water. Add salt, stevia and sour cream, mixing well to blend flavors. If desired, add more wasabi for extra heat.
Serve immediately, refrigerate for several days.
SMILE TIP: A lab-based study showed that tooth enamel erodes half as quickly after an acid drink such as cola, when the teeth have been exposed to broccoli beforehand. Researchers suggest that the iron in broccoli may set up a protective barrier and protect teeth from acid. Thanks, mom! You were right… eat your broccoli!
SMILE TIP: Eat wasabi several times a week to help prevent cavities.