Smile Recipe: Soup-er Smile Soup
Dr Michaels Dental Clinic
Tasty soup is a great disguise for all the healthy veggies with minerals, and herbs with antibacterial properties. Not only is it fast and easy, it’s a year-round soup you can season to your liking with many spice variations.
- 1 48 oz. jar of Great Northern precooked beans
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped or thinly sliced
- 4 ribs celery, trimmed and chopped or thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped; or ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large tomato, chopped, or a small can of diced tomatos
- 2 leaves chard or kale, chopped
- 1 medium piece of Nori, chopped (a type of sea vegetable, found packaged in the health food section)
- ½ cup vegetable broth; when blending, more may be needed for desired consistency
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- Cheddar cheese, shredded, chunks or sliced, about 2 ounces per serving
- (Note: Instead of the basil, oregano and thyme, substitute 1 teaspoon chili powder plus ¼ teaspoon cumin for a Mexican flavor)
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, over medium heat, add coconut oil to melt. Add vegetables in order as listed, onion, carrots and celery. Sauté mixture until onions are translucent.
- Add ½ cup broth, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Vegetables should be tender but not mushy. Add beans, chard, tomato, and Nori. Bring to a gentle boil, simmer and heat through. Add seasonings.
- With a potato masher or immersion blender, reduce about one-third of the mixture to a soup-like consistency, adding additional broth as needed. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with cheddar cheese cubes or top each serving with shredded cheddar.
Serve this soup with a side of your favorite sliced or cubed cheese, or top with grated cheese. Lactic acid helps prevent tooth decay.