Strawberries are a perfect way to end a meal. Here is a healthy way to reduce sugar desserts and still have fun!
- 1 quart fresh, ripe strawberries (organic preferred), washed and stemmed
(Note: save several unfrozen fresh strawberries for garnish)
- 5-10 drops stevia to taste
- ¼ cup lemon-flavored seltzer (or plain seltzer with 2 drops pure lemon essential oil)
- Place washed and stemmed strawberries in the freezer until hardened.
- In a blender or food processor, add the frozen strawberries and pulse until fruit is reduced to chunks.
- Add seltzer, and lemon essential oil (if using), and 5 drops of stevia. Continue to blend until very smooth. Taste for sweetness and add more stevia if desired.
- Pour into a glass container and place in the freezer for several hours, stirring about every half hour. The sorbet is ready to serve when it is firm and can be scooped with a spoon.
- To serve, mound the strawberry sorbet into your prettiest serving dishes, garnishing with the reserved fresh berries, and perhaps a twist of lemon and a sprig of mint for special occasions.
Strawberries are great “scrubbers” and high in fiber, a definite health plus. Lemon assists with pH balance in the body. Stevia is a natural sweetener and does not have an “acid effect” like sugar on your teeth (read the label for pure stevia without added sugars or flavors). The vitamin C in strawberries supports gum and mouth tissue.