Meticulous home care and oral hygiene are considered the key to long-term success of dental implants.
A Prosthodontist is an expert in restoration and replacement of teeth. His advanced training allows him to have a special understanding of the dynamics and preservation of healthy teeth and making sure smiles look beautiful and function the way they should.
“Dental implants are safe and effective solutions to replace missing teeth, they restore function, aesthetic and self-esteem. Implants are very durable and can last many years, with good care, many implants last a lifetime.”
“Meticulous home care and oral hygiene are considered the key to long-term success of dental implants. Although decay can’t occur in implants, inadequate oral hygiene can lead to infectious disease that causes inflammation in the soft and hard tissues surrounding the implant, loss of the supporting bone and failure of the dental implant. The risk factors include smoking, history of periodontal disease, diabetes (uncontrolled), compromised oral hygiene and parafunctional habits (bruxism).”
“If you notice gum bleeding when brushing, redness and/or tenderness on the gum surrounding the implant, contact your dentist immediately.”
Ways on how patients can take care of their dental implants.
- Brush 2-3 times daily with low abrasive dentifrice.
- If your implants are restored with removable dentures, remove the dentures; clean them with adapted toothbrush and liquid soap at least twice daily.
- Floss at least once a day. Implants are more likely to cause food impaction due to their shape. Use the dental floss thoroughly in all directions.
- If your implants are restored with a bridge, make sure to floss underneath the bridge; different types of floss are specially designed for efficient cleaning of bridges.
- When recommended by your dentist, use interdental brush, rubber tip, mouthwash and/or water irrigation unit.
- Regular dental check up every 6 months. Early detection is essential for effective treatment of peri-implant diseases.
- Visit your dental hygienist regularly, at least 3 times a year. Your hygienist will use special instruments to clean dental implants.
- Do not smoke.
- Wear your night guard if recommended by your dentist. Some studies consider grinding and clenching as a risk factor for implants failure.
To make an appointment with Dr. Amir Hadjhamou, please call Dr. Michael’s Dental Clinic in Umm Suqeim Branch at 04-3949433. You can also book an appointment online.
You might also be interested in: