- Indirect bonding is the method of applying brackets for braces to the teeth in such a manner that an entire set of braces can be applied
- Direct bonding is the method where braces are placed on each individual tooth, one at a time.
Placement of brackets and tubes in a step by step process:
- The teeth are polished with a non-flavored paste (this is similar to a dental polish after a cleaning), to ensure that the brackets will bond properly, after which they are air-dried.
- A cheek retractor is used to keep the teeth visible and dry during the procedure.
- The teeth are lightly air-dried, and the conditioner (blue gel) is placed onto the front surfaces of the teeth for about 30 seconds. The taste of this gel can be a little sour and bitter.
- The conditioner is rinsed and the teeth are again dried using suction and air.
- An adhesive primer is painted onto the teeth to enhance the bonding process and is cured with a LED ‘blue’ light.
- Finally, the bonding cement is placed onto the back sides of the braces, which are then placed on the teeth. The brackets are placed in a very precise position onto the teeth, and excess bonding cement is removed. If the bonding cement is light sensitive, the LED blue light is used to cure (set) the glue. Some bonding agents do not require a light since they have a chemical cure.
- The cheek retractor is removed and the wires are placed.
Placement of bands or rings
The process of placing bands on the molars involves the following:
- Separators are placed one week prior to the appointment of band placement.
- The separators are removed, revealing space between the back molar teeth.
- Bands, which come in a variety of sizes, are selected to fit each individual tooth.
- A bite stick is used to help properly place and position the band on the tooth. By having the patient bite together with the stick, less strain is placed on the jaw while positioning the band. The orthodontist will first position the stick, and then let the patient know when and how hard to bite.
- Once the bands are selected and fit to the molars, they are removed and dried.
- The inner portion of the band is lined with band cement, and then it is positioned on the tooth. If the cement is light sensitive, a light will be used to cure it.