Soft Drink Addiction Leaves 25-year-old Man Toothless
William Kennewell, 25 has had his teeth removed because of severe decay from his soda addiction.
25-year-old William Kennewell of South Australia ignored warnings about his soft drink addiction, drinking between six and eight liters of soda each day for three years.
On an interview with the Adelaide Advertiser, William said "It started because I wasn't a huge water fan and working in the hotel industry, I had easy access to Coke.”
"I'm told a normal person has about 23 teeth, but... I only had 13 left, and they had to be removed."
The tooth-damaging habit became an addiction he “struggled to kick”, William said.
After years of bathing his teeth with soft drinks, he developed tooth decay was so serious that the addiction led to blood poisoning – and the removal of his teeth.
Now wearing dentures, William is now a poster boy for Australian health researchers who are calling for warning labels on soft drinks about the risks of tooth decay.
He agrees with the idea, he says, though he's not sure how effective it will be.