Smile Recipe: Carrot-Pineapple Ginger Salad
This versatile, simple salad can be served as a snack as well as a side dish. It is delicious with fish, like Ahi Tuna prepared medium-rare, or it adds a zing to a simple baked chicken breast. Pair it with cottage cheese or yogurt for breakfast!
- 2 - 3 large carrots, organic preferred
- 1 fresh pineapple, peeled and cored (or 1, 14-ounce can crushed pineapple, organic preferred)
- ½ teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- Wash, peel and grate carrots to measure 2 cups.
- Cut the pineapple in half and cut one half into chunks. Place the chunks in a blender and blend only until slightly smooth and still chunky. The pineapple should look juicy yet not like a “smoothie.”
- Place the remaining uncut half of the pineapple in a glass mixing bowl. Using a sharp knife and a fork, slice the pineapple, then continue to cut the pineapple into tid-bit size pieces- approximately 1/4” in size. This will ensure all the juice from the pineapple will be in the bowl to flavor the carrots.
- In your mixing bowl with the pineapple tidbits, combine the grated carrots, blenderized pineapple, and grated ginger. Stir gently to mix flavors. Refrigerate in a glass container to chill, about an hour.
Carrots scrub teeth, the pineapple acts as the “whitener” and the ginger is an anti-inflammatory to support healthy mouth tissue.