A refreshing and cost-effective alternative to store-bought mouthwash.
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that studies show prevents tooth decay. Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) helps neutralize the tooth-eroding acid that cavity-causing bacteria produce. Fluoride aids in remineralizing tooth structure.
- 8 ounces water
- 2 teaspoons PreviDent GEL (1.1% Sodium Fluoride - available from your pharmacist)
- 1½ Tablespoon xylitol (Note: Raw xylitol can be bought in most health food stores including Whole Foods and is available online)
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint oil extract or favorite flavor
- Blend ingredients together with an immersion blender or regular blender. Store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- Use: Rinse with approximately 10 ml (2 tsp) for 1 minute, 1-2 times per day after brushing. For best results, do not eat, drink, or rinse for 30 minutes after expectorating. Do NOT swallow.
- Serving Size: This recipe makes approximately a 2-week supply.
A lab-based study showed that tooth enamel erodes half as quickly after an acid drink such as cola, when the teeth have been exposed to broccoli beforehand. Researchers suggest that the iron in broccoli may set up a protective barrier and protect teeth from acid. Thanks, mom! You were right... eat your broccoli!
Eat wasabi several times a week to help prevent cavities.