Smile Recipe: Crunchy Chopped Salad
Dr Michaels Dental Clinic
Simple and easy... make extra for snacking later.
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ¼ cup red pepper, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon onion, red, green or white, finely chopped
- 4 leaves fresh basil, chopped, or ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 drops stevia, or 1 teaspoon honey, to taste
- 1 teaspoon raspberry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, (optional)
- Sea salt, a pinch or two, to taste
- Fresh ground pepper corn, a pinch or two, to taste
- Chop the vegetables and basil, if using fresh, and place in a medium bowl. If using dried basil, keep in a separate bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the vinegar, stevia (or honey), salt, pepper, olive oil (optional), and 2 teaspoons of water; add dried basil if using this instead of fresh. Stir and pour over vegetables.
- Toss well to coat.
Celery activates saliva production which assists in cleansing food particles from the teeth and dilutes sugars or acids in the mouth. Chewing celery also massages the gums. Onions contain sulfur compounds that test tube research indicates kills streptococcus bacteria that cause tooth decay! Basil is natural antibiotic, reducing bacteria in the mouth as well.