Smile Recipe: Seed “Cereal”
This is a healthy and versatile addition to your diet, and supports dental health. Seed “cereal” is very high in protein and good fats, both of which are necessary for tissue health including bones, teeth, and gums. This cereal is also high in fiber, something every “body” needs.
- ½ Raw almonds
- ½ Raw pumpkin seeds
- ½ Raw sunflower seeds
- ½ Raw sesame seeds, Note: (¼ cup is adequate)
*May substitute raw cashews for any of the nuts
- Apple juice, organic preferred
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Place the seeds and nuts in a glass bowl or large measuring cup that can hold all ingredients.
- TIP: Measure the nuts directly into a large glass measuring cup, starting with the sesame seeds. Pour in apple juice to cover the nuts. Cover and let stand overnight.
In the morning, place the soaked mixture in a blender or food processor. Add the sea salt. Blend or process until all the nuts are ground to a “meal” texture. No nuts should be identifiable; the mixture should be spoon-able, yet not ground to a nut “butter.” Experiment with this recipe to see what your preference is. Some people prefer adding more apple juice. You can leave it chunky, or make it very creamy. Serve immediately.
Refrigerate remaining nut blend up to 3 days.
- SERVING SUGGESTION: Seed cereal is generally served as a topping on other foods, like oatmeal. Try adding it to granola and other cereals to supplement protein and fiber. Top plain yogurt (sweetened with stevia and fresh fruit), or Greek or coconut milk yogurt with this nut blend. It’s also delicious as a topping for your favorite salads.
In addition to great nutrition, nuts and seeds “scrub” teeth while you chew. Soaking improves the digestibility of the nuts.